If one wishes to know Zichron Yaakov honestly, one must understand its history first. For your convenience, Gary Fieldman constructed a summary of the settlement’s history. Gary Fieldman is a real estate agent and an expert on Zichron Yaakov. Contact Gary Fieldman today to find out more about Zichron Yaakov’s legacy.
The settlement’s development
Zichron Yaakov was founded as a settlement in December 1882 by immigrants from the “Zion Lovers” group from Romania and was called Zamarin, after the Arab village there.
Two years later, the settlement passed under the patronage of Baron Rothschild and its name was changed to Zichron Yaakov after the Baron’s father. A German engineer named Stöckler, hired by the Baron, determined the settlement’s plan and the land’s division.
According to a regular engineering plan, the buildings were built uniformly on lots allocated on both sides of Farmers street, later to be named the Founders. There, public buildings were constructed and operated by the Baron’s officials.
The Baron based the economy of the new settlement on vine growing and wine production. In 1892, the winery was established and managed by the vintners’ association; meanwhile, a bottle factory was established in Tantura.
In the Twentieth Century
In 1900, the settlement management was handed over to the Lika organization. In the first decade of the twentieth century, the first attempt was made to establish an organization for the Jewish community under Osishkin’s initiative. The Hebrew Teachers’ Association was founded in Zichron Yaakov. During the First World War, the settlement served as a base for the Nili underground activities, managed and operated from the Aaronson family house in Zichron.
In 1912, fifteen families of Yemeni Jewish immigrants arrived in Zichron Yaakov, whose integration into the settlement was slow and fraught with difficulties. Over the years, more and more immigrants from different countries arrived in the settlement.
With the establishment of Israel, fifty more families from Yemen and Turkey were settled in the north of the settlement. Afterwards, a nucleus of forty families arrived from Iraq and lived in the crossings in tents until 1956, and after them came three waves of immigrants from Morocco.
Zichron Yaakov turned into a settlement where old peasant families and immigrants from different cultures lived side by side. During Israel’s first decade, the southern neighbourhoods, Neve Sharet and Neve Remez, were built.
In 1954, the tomb estate was established in Ramat Hanadiv, south of the settlement, with the raising of the coffins of Baron Rothschild and his wife.
Construction and development continued on the western ridge when the Neve Baron neighbourhoods were established in the southwest and Givat Eden in the northwest.
Do you wish to learn more about the stories behind Zichron Yaakov, like the heroic deeds of the Aaronson family and the Nili underground? Contact Gary Fieldman today to learn all there is to know about Zichron Yaakov and its surroundings. Gary Fieldman is an expert on apartments for rent at zichron yaakov
with an extensive experience in the settlement’s real estate market.